The Taylor Log Cabin is an example of the early log construction that existed in the Amherstburg area prior to 1865. The cabin is thought to have been one of two buildings previously located on Fort Malden property.
When the building was first moved here it did not have a livable second storey, only a small loft. Nasa McCurdy, who was instrumental in building the Nazrey A.M.E. Church in 1848, raised the roof of the home to make a livable second floor.
Mr. George Taylor, who had escaped slavery in Kentucky and served in the Union Army, lived in the cabin with his family around 1880. The Taylor Log Cabin and its furnishings represent the type of housing available to some residents in Amherstburg during this time period.
The home was sold to Melvin Simpson in the 1970s to use as a feature for the Museum.